I’m a researcher and system’s builder in the area of distributed systems, networking and operating systems. From 2010 to 2019 I was a member of the research staff at IBM Research Zurich. I’m holding a PhD in Compuer Science from ETH Zurich. From 2008 to 2019 I spent two years as a Postdoc at Microsoft Research Silicon Valley. Starting Dec 2019 I will be joining the data infrastructure team at Linkedin.
The general theme of my work is to explore how modern networking and storage hardware can be exploited in distributed systems. Over the last years, I’ve been working on Crail, a fast distributed data store designed from ground up for fast storage (DRAM, NVMe, PCM) and networking hardware (100Gb/s RDMA, NVMf). Crail is built upon principles of user-level I/O and primarily targets fast sharing of ephemeral data in distributed data processing workloads (Spark, Tensforflow, serverless workloads, etc.).
Currently, I’m working on a new storage platform for efficient ML training on disaggregated storage.
Earlier, I developed DiSNI, a zero-copy RDMA-based network stack for the JVM, DaRPC, a ultra-low latency RPC library also for the JVM, and jVerbs, an RDMA-based network stack and precurser of DiSNI, which is part of the IBM JDK since May 2014.
- October 9, 2019 » Posted a blog about benchmarking Crail using the YCSB benchmark
- September 2, 2019 » Slides from USENIX ATC'19 talk are up
- April 11, 2019 » Slides from Oreilly's Strata talk are available
- March 13, 2019 » Posted a blog about disaggregated deployment options with Crail
- March 4, 2019 » Posted a blog about shuffle disaggregation
- Unification of Temporary Storage in the NodeKernel Architecture, USENIX ATC 19, Renton, WA, USA, July 2019.
- Data Processing at the Speed of 100Gpbs using Apache Crail, Oreilly Strata, San Francisco, CA, USA, Februrary 2019.
- COMPASS Talk about Apache Crail, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland, September 2018.
- Serverless Machine Learning on Modern Hardware Using Apache Spark, Spark Summit, San Francisco, CA, June 2018.
- Running Apache Spark on a High-Performance Cluster Using RDMA and NVMe Flash, Spark Summit, San Francisco, CA, June 2017.
USENIX ATC’20, ASPLOS’20 (ERC), USENIX ATC’19, ASPLOS’19 (ERC), USENIX ATC’18, SoCC’18, SoCC’17, Systor’17, ICDCS’14, ICDCS’11, ICDCS’10
I have been co-teaching the following courses:
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semester 2018, ETH Zurich
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semester 2017, ETH Zurich
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semster 2016, ETH Zurich
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semster 2015, ETH Zurich
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semester 2014, ETH Zurich
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semster 2013, ETH Zurich
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semester 2012, ETH Zurich
- Advanced Computer Networks, Spring Semster 2011, ETH Zurich